February 2014 – February 2016
Learner Outcomes Manager / Software Development Trainer
As Learner Outcomes Manager
A member of the Training Management team that oversees all aspects of training and development of Bright Future’s Apprentices from induction to the Level 3 Apprenticeship through to Level 4 Trailblazer and beyond.
Direct responsibility for managing the outcomes achieved by the Apprentices in terms of the completion of the qualifications and successful integration into Bright Future’s commercial development teams.
Leadership and Management
- To enable the company to become OFSTED ready, with the aim of the company becoming a recognized prime training provider, through the work carried out to improve ‘Outcomes for Learners’ (detailed below) and supporting the development of other areas of the business.
- Developing, implementing and reviewing the Quality Improvement Plan objectives that have specific impact on ‘Outcomes for Learners’.
- Create, maintain and improve the policies, procedures and protocols that will improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the company.
- Supporting other members of the Training Management Team in the execution of their roles, where necessary, in relation to the Self-Assessment, Quality Improvement Planning and other areas.
- Maintaining the ‘Outcomes for Learners’ section of the Self-Assessment Report collecting, collating and analysing all data and information that relates to it.
- Line manage Trainers according to the structure of the Training Team performing Appraisals where appropriate.
- Support training department meetings and lead them as required.
- Contribute to the company’s safeguarding and equality and diversity policies by ensuring that they are adequate and followed by all members of the company.
- Raise awareness of the company and assist with any plans for its expansion in other areas of the UK by attending meetings, contributing to developing strategy and representing the company where appropriate.
- Maintain an awareness of the latest government agendas and issues surrounding external bodies that influence the effective operation of the company.
- Lead by example and demonstrate and share best practice in terms of teaching knowledge.
- Guide the implementation of a strategy to provide teacher training at various levels to accommodate an ongoing need for highly skilled trainers.
- Advise the Training Management Team on matters regarding ‘Outcomes for Learners’ and the development of provision.
- Ensure that all Apprentices are set a target grade at Level 3 using the prior attainment data and that this is communicated to all stakeholders.
- Make sure that all Apprentices have SMART targets related to their needs, progress and development.
- Ensure that the review process for Apprentices is optimised and is used to ensure that Apprentices are aware of their current progress and what they need to do next to improve.
- Work collaboratively with all stakeholders to ensure that academic progress is at the centre of all work that the Apprentices and Trainers are undertaking.
- Ensure that the relevant parts of course handbooks are up-to-date with information pertaining to ‘Outcomes for Learners’.
- Ensure that teaching and training practices facilitate the optimum rate of progression for Apprentices and develop practices and policies to promote this.
- Ensure that learners have up-to-date knowledge of their academic expectations via the starter handbook and website for reference.
- Manage change effectively and inspire colleagues to succeed whilst harnessing a team spirit.
- Ensure that the ‘Outcomes for Learners’ are maintained through the evaluation, mentoring and coaching of new and existing teaching staff.
- Lead and motivate a team of teaching staff to achieve high standards of performance and ‘Outcomes for Learners’.
- Disseminate information about changes to practice that affect the ‘Outcomes for Learners’ with appropriate members of the Training Company and/or other stakeholders.
- Line manage a quota of teaching and support staff.
- Assist with the recruitment and selection of new staff within the training company as part of the interview panel and performing observations of ‘mini-teach’ sessions.
- Undertake training observations to support the improvement process.
- To assist in the development of CPD for training staff by identifying opportunities for training and facilitating it.
- Manage the performance, appraisal and development of staff and set targets.
- Communicate effectively across the organisation at all levels.
- Work hand in hand with HR where necessary to manage staff performance and disciplinary issues.
- Help to effectively utilise a budget for the improvement of training equipment.
- Ensure that staffing resources are used in a cost efficient way.
- Plan and design the use of scalable systems for tracking, monitoring and improving ‘Outcomes for Learners’
- Plan and manage physical and human resource effectively.
- Plan in line with company growth and development.
- In liaison with the Senior Leadership Team, effectively represent the interests of the company with stakeholders, major clients and the community in all matters relevant to the duties of the role.
- Promote the effective implementation of the company’s policies and priorities in relation to all aspects of the duties of the role
- Complete all documents necessary to comply with the company’s HR policies and ensure that all staffing records are accurate and up to date.
- Demonstrate commitment and enthusiasm to promote the principle of equality and diversity in employment and service delivery.
- Be familiar with Child Protection requirements as outlined in the Child Protection Policy and comply with its requirements to safeguard and protect the welfare of children and vulnerable adults.
- Encourage the awareness of risk within your department, ensuring that responsibility for risk management is effectively embedded and that all risks identified are reported through the appropriate system.
- Promote the highest standards of Health and Safety practice in relation to all aspects of the duties of the role.
- All employees have a general duty in law to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts of omissions.
- Participate as required in company-wide activities such as duty manager rotas, marketing activities and staff and learner events.
- Undertake such additional duties or projects as the Leadership Team may determine from time to time, after consultation with the post holder.
- Support the future expansion plans of the training company.
- Deliver Teaching where required to support the operation of the training company.
- To increase learner achievement success and retention in line with government benchmarks.
- To improve the learner experience.
- To foster change within established policies, practices and procedures for the betterment of the company.
As a Software Development Trainer
Developing and delivering training materials to Apprentice Software Developers studying towards a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Software Development and the Level 3 Professional Competencies for IT.
- Areas of curriculum delivered:
- Object-Oriented, Procedural and Event Driven programming (using Java and Eclipse IDE)
- Game Design and Development (using Greenfoot)
- Project Management (Agile/SCRUM methodologies)
- Hardware and Software